These are some of the most important things to know about Fibromyalgia symptoms and signs. When you know these you are well above the curve.
1. Fibromyalgia overlaps with other diagnoses. It has some of the same symptoms and signs of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Lupus.
2. More women than men have Fibromyalgia. No one is sure why this is so but it is.
3. Medical personnel think there are two types of fibromyalgia. One type people just seem to have. The other people seem to get because of some type of stress or other disease.
4. Which came first the chicken or the egg? Medical personnel don’t know if depression comes before Fibromyalgia or because of it. Either way antidepressants seem to help with the pain and are one of the first medications prescribed.
5. Medicine is bitter, so is exercise. Exercise helps with the stress that contributes to Fibromyalgia and stress that comes from having Fibromyalgia. Whether stretching exercise, water aerobics, or whatever type of exercise get up and move.
6. Learn about tender points. You probably already know more than you realize.
7. A rheumatologist usually makes the diagnosis. People who have fibromyalgia usually are between 20 and 55, but children can have Fibromyalgia.
8. Do not be surprised it you have to go to several doctors to get a diagnosis. This is common. You will probably have to have a lot of medical tests too. Try not to become frustrated and stressed when you have to repeat tests.
9. Major symptoms of Fibromyalgia are muscle pain, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, sleep problems, memory problems, and problems moving in the morning.